There are numerous causes of sciatica. Sciatica is caused by the compression of the nerve roots located in the lower back or in the lumbar area. The nerve roots that are affected or compressed may be only one set, but in some cases there are more than five sets that suffer this disorder, which can cause spinal nerve compression. There are six most common causes of sciatica. Below are the specific causes of sciatica.
- Lumbar Herniated Disc: A herniated disc happens when the nucleus in our body breaks through our annulus. This occurrence is called non-contained disc disorder. The disc material can press against the adjacent nerve root or against a delicate nerve tissue other than the nerve root. This will eventually cause sciatica.
- Spondylolisthesis: This usually affects the lumbar spine. This disorder is normally characterized by a vertebra that slips forward over its adjacent vertebra. When this happens and the vertebra is displaced, spinal nerve root compression will occur. Once nerve compression takes place, this will cause sciatic leg pain.
- Piriformis Syndrome: This is also another sciatica cause, which refers to the pain when muscle irritates the sciatic nerve. This kind of syndrome happens when the muscle spasms generally develop within the muscle of the piriformis. These developed muscle spasms will then compress the sciatic nerve.
- Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: This spinal stenosis is generally a disorder of nerve compression. This disorder often happens to mature by people. One of the common results of this spinal issue is a leg pain, which is very similar to sciatica. This is usually caused by some activities like walking or by standing for long period of time.
Above are common causes of sciatica. Usually with causes of sciatica the nerve roots are affected or compressed. Many different things can cause sciatica and the severity of sciatica may differ depending on the cause.
- Sciatica Pain Relief Options
- What is Sciatica?
- Three Exercises to Help Relieve Your Sciatica Pain!
- Children and Sciatica
- What is Sciatica… and What Causes Sciatica?
Tags: back pain tips, causes for pain in back, causes of pain in back, causes of sciatica, pain in low back, sciatic pain, sciatica causes, sciatica facts, sciatica pain, sciatica pain remedies, sciatica pian, sciatica relief, sciatica symptoms, sciatica tips, sciatica treatments